Sunday, June 19, 2011

Library Drama

Yesterday I went to the library to drop off some books and pick up some new ones. As tired as I was after getting back from Austin and as anxious as I am about starting my new job on Monday, I knew I wanted this to be a quiet weekend full of Law and Order episodes (my current addiction) and reading. Thanks to my DVR and TNT, I had/have plenty of L&O episodes to keep me busy this weekend, but the trip to the library was necessary if I was going to read this weekend. 

I love going to the library. I love being surrounded by books and can wander around in a library and bookstore for hours. Usually the experience is relaxing to me. Yesterday not so much thanks to a rude librarian and her stupid wooden goose. That's right. A wooden goose ruined my library experience yesterday. 



I walked into the library and set my books on the return counter just like normal. The librarian was even standing there when I set them down. As I started to walk away and head over to the books to look around, the woman turns around and tells me I should have set the books on the other side of the computer at the counter. I replied that maybe they need to put up a sign explaining that if that's where they want the books. The woman proceeded to tell me that's what the wooden goose on the counter is for. Not a sign or anything with words, but a wooden goose. 

Apparently I missed something in all of my years of education and living in the real world. Apparently someone forgot to tell me along the way that a wooden goose translates to 'place your books here'. Are you kidding me? Puh-leeze. 

Annoyed by the woman and her wooden goose, I went on to tell her that no normal person would know her wooden goose is a signal to place books next to the goose and walked away. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but I didn't appreciate being treated like the crazy one in the situation. She's the fruitcake talking with wooden animal cutouts, not me. 

Anyways, I got my books and feel much better after venting. I'm reading Deborah Harkness' A Discovery of Witches right now and enjoying it very much. 



Maybe I won't see crazy goose lady when I go back to return it. 

1 comment:

Happy Healthy Runner said...

wow that is RIDICULOUS. i didn't realize wooden geese signified anything other than a weird trinket. kinda funny though, i definitely laughed when i read that :)