Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Not So Great Choices


Apparently this is my weekend for confusing things and crappy entertainment choices. Books, movies. Maybe someone was trying to tell me something.

First, I stayed up Friday night and watched Good with Viggo Mortensen. 



Good is about a German literature professor (Viggo) in Nazi Germany. The professor is a "good" man, hence the title of the movie. He writes a novel advocating compassionate euthanasia, and the Nazis use the book as a tool to push their own agenda. The professor gets swept up in the Nazi madness, leading to devastating events. The movie was alright but very confusing. The message the movie was trying to teach, that good people can get caught up in and by bad things, was interesting, but the movie was so abrupt and choppy that it was hard to follow. Unless you're a big Viggo fan, I'd skip this one. 

Second, Saturday I finished reading Brunonia Barry's The Lace Reader. The book started off well enough, but it turned into a confusing, frustrating, dull read that just irritated me and made me wish I hadn't wasted my time. Bad books drive me nuts. I have little enough time to read as it is so I hate wasting my time on crappy reads. This one just had a twist that was unforgivable and enough to turn me away from Barry's other books.

After finishing The Lace Reader, I decided it was time to watch another movie. I'm a sucker for horror movies, even the really bad ones. I decided to watch Dark House from the Fright Fest collection. 


Dark House is about a woman who witnessed the mass murder of foster children in a house as a child herself. The woman returns to the house as a college student to film a horror movie and face her fears as the house is reopened as a new horror attraction, but she's not alone as the ghost of the women who killed the kids also returns. 

And it's just as stupid as you'd expect. So much for my "great" entertainment choices this weekend. Maybe tomorrow I'll do better.

No comments: